I never thought I’d have to direct my clients to this post about photo sessions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
But then, I also never thought I’d wear a mask to the grocery store, or forego hairdresser visits for 4 months, or teach my daughter Grade 7 geometry (these things are equally uncomfortable and horrifying).
I’m proud that I, in shutting down my business, and my clients, in foregoing and postponing sessions, were able to play a part in flattening the curve here in BC, and keeping our most vulnerable people safe.
As we have now entered Phase 2 of our provincial restart plan, I look forward to serving my clients, old and new, with the same custom-made, personable and professional service as before, albeit with a few changes in place.
Keeping you safe and comfortable has always been my number one priority, so here are the measures being implemented during Phase 2:
- I will be rescheduling your session if anyone in my household has displayed any symptoms related to the flu within 2 weeks of your session. I ask that you do the same. I’m adding extra time into my schedule to allow for rescheduling.
- I will be wearing a mask while photographing your family.
- I will maintain a 6ft distance as far as possible.
- I will be practicing very strict hand hygiene, and sanitize my hands several times before, during and after our session.
- I will sanitize all my gear before bringing it anywhere close to your family
- I will not be touching any member of your family during our session. I will simply direct you in posing and adjustments from a distance. Expect lots of funny gestures from my side!
- I will leave at least 48 hours between all sessions.
Specific to Outdoor Family Sessions:
- I will be using lenses that allow me to be physically further away from you, while still being able to capture the sweet details of your family bonds
- Whereas I usually physically wrangle kids around when posing outdoors, I will ask you to do that for now
- We will choose outdoor locations that are less crowded
- I will ask that you leave pets out of your outdoor sessions for now, as they add an unpredictable element to our session that may force me to break physical distancing
- I will not be offering extended family sessions at this time
Specific to Newborn Sessions
- Until our local hospitals ease restrictions on the number of visitors, we can unfortunately not do any Fresh 48 sessions
- Sessions will be limited to household members only
- I will not be handling your baby during the session – although I will miss cuddling all my littlest clients, their health and safety is more important
- I will bring some wraps along, and show you how to wrap baby, and where to place them, so we can still get some beautiful portraits of just baby by themselves.
Specific to Studio Sessions (Milestones and Cake Smashes)
- I am restricting the session to the child being photographed, as well as parents. Limit to one parent if possible.
- I am rigorously cleaning and sanitizing all areas of the studio, including props and high-touch areas like doorknobs, light switches, counters and bathrooms, before and after the session
- The seating area in the studio will be closed
- I will ask you to take off your shoes at the door when you arrive
- I will show you to the washroom for everyone to wash their hands, and have hand sanitizer available throughout our session
- I will not be tickling toes, handing over cake, hiding puffs in the cake, blowing raspberries or any of those things that usually happens at cake smashes. I will direct parents as far as possible to keep baby smiling and engaged, and I will rely on all my silly faces and sounds to get baby to smile from afar!
I am so happy that my natural and candid style of photography allows our photo sessions during the COVID-19 pandemic to look very much the same as before. Now, more than ever, creating a legacy through family photography is front and center of my mission.
I can’t wait to get your family in front of my camera! Get in touch, and we’ll start planning.